Thursday, August 25, 2011

Insomnia

One of my early pregnancy symptoms is insomnia.  I don't know what it is but when I'm pregnant something just prevents me from sleeping.  And it's not even nausea, although lately that's been keeping me up some nights.

I've tried Unisom but only half the dosage.  It would make me sleepy but then once I lay my head on my pillow I'd be wide awake.

I called my doctor's office to see if Unisom was ok or if they had another suggestion.  The nurse practitioner suggested Benadryl.  Well, that had pretty much the same affect.

And then I've tried Tylenol PM, but only on nights that I have a headache.  That's been the best but sometimes even after taking that I'd still toss & turn for 2 hours!

Part of my problem is I get too hot really easily.  Something else to blame on hormones!  What's weird is it's really just my legs that get hot.  And then they get restless which leaves me tossing & turning.  So some nights I've had to take the comforter off my side of the bed & just use a quilt.  That seems to help keep me from getting too hot.

I also wake up a lot at night.  It doesn't take much.  Lots of bathroom breaks which is normal of course.  And sometimes that leaves me wide awake.  Or I wake up to Jeremy's alarm & try to go back to sleep but I'm too awake.  That's what happened today.

Naps have been terrible.  I have tried to take a nap just about every single day since I found out I was pregnant but all I do is lay there wide awake.  Or Shaylin wakes up crying through the 2-3 hours so even if I did fall asleep it wouldn't be for long.  For some reason she's really been struggling with naps in the last month.

Hopefully once this trimester is over the insomnia will pass & I will start to sleep better again.  Of course, then the 3rd trimester will soon come along & then I'll be so big & uncomfortable & won't be sleeping well again.  I guess it's all in preparation for the new baby & getting my body used to living on very little sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment