Monday, November 1, 2010

Working Momma

I adore being a stay at home mom.  It's all I ever wanted to do.  A career meant nothing to me.  And I had a great job before Shaylin was born.  For over 7 years I worked in an insurance office & pretty much ran the office without the title of agent.  Or the paycheck.  But when I left the week before Shaylin was born I wasn't sad & had no intention of ever going back to the workplace ever again. 

Well, never say never.

A couple weeks ago my former boss emailed me asking if I'd be willing to come in part-time to fill in while his main support staff is out of the country.  It would be for 7 weeks.  So I talked to my mother-in-law to see if she'd be willing to watch Shaylin in the mornings & she agreed.  I would have started today but my mother-in-law is on her way back from visiting some of her other grandkids so I will start tomorrow.

What also helps is we will be going to NC for Thanksgiving so it takes out a whole week right in the middle of this commitment so I really will only work a total of 6 weeks.  My hours will be 8:30 to 1:00 so with that & driving time it'll have me away from Shaylin for about 5 hours a day.

So far I'm ok.  I haven't cried . . . yet.  I haven't had guilt . . . yet.  But I know it's going to come.  What helps me is knowing that it's not for very long & we could definitely use the extra money with our NC trip coming up & Christmas right after.

Another positive I thought of is that it will help give me more empathy for other moms that work all the time.  Not that I don't feel for them.  But I don't really know how they feel on a day to day basis when they have to leave their babies behind knowing they would rather spend as much time with them as they can.  This will give me a small taste of what they go through.

I've already asked Shaylin to not do anything new while she's away from me.  She has to save it for when we come home.  I feel a greater desire to spend quality time with her today. 

So on that note . . .

1 comment:

  1. I did a long-term sub when K was about 5 months old. The first day was tough. I cried. But it got better. I loved the time as a professional. I loved coming home to her and hanging out with her. It was good for us. I would do it again if I had someone to watch her...that is a blessing! I hope it goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete