Saturday, April 2, 2011

Kaylee

Kaylee is our first dog together.  We got her on Labor Day weekend in 2005.  Initially we were looking for a bassett hound.  But the cost for most bassetts is pretty high & we were about to buy a house.  So Jeremy was looking in the newspaper & found an ad for a Great Pyrenees/Anatolian Shepherd mix & for only $70.  I knew nothing of either breed but when I saw her I fell in love with her big white paws. 

Kaylee was the ideal dog for a first time dog owner like me.  Jeremy grew up with dogs.  My brother had a dog but I never left like Max was my dog.  House training was a breeze with her!  We can only assume it's because her first 10 weeks of life were solely outside so grass was all she knew.

When we first got Kaylee she weighed around 25 lbs.  We think she's around 100 lbs. now.  We haven't weighed her in quite a while because it's just too hard to pick up a dog that big.

The main reason I'm blogging about Kaylee is how she knows when I need her.  She's not a needy dog.  Being a herding breed she prefers being on her own.  But there are times when she will come & lay by me.

Almost 4 years ago we learned that we lost our first baby.  That day was one of the darkest days of my life.  I hurt badly.  And that night when we went to bed Kaylee didn't lay on her mat on Jeremy's side of the bed like she always does.  She laid on my side of the bed.  And she stayed there the entire night.  She knew something was wrong & it was her way of "helping" me.

And again last week she did it again.  There was a medical scare with my mom.  Naturally I was worried.  And as I sat on the couch holding Shaylin before putting her to bed Kaylee came & laid at the foot of the couch.

Kaylee certainly isn't perfect.  The shedding that goes on all year long & her constant barking at everything in the neighborhood are her biggest flaws.  But those rare moments of her comforting me make up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment