Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dear Treadmill,

I have a love/hate relationship with you. 

You're a great rescue from the scorching Texas heat.  It's pretty great to have the a/c on, your tiny built-in fan blowing on me, & then a couple more fans blowing on me.  I love how I always know what pace I'm running at.  When I'm outside I'll lose focus & slow down.  But when I run on you I can set a pace & hold it.  You've also been a great help with speed workouts.  I like sprinting the last 10th of a mile of most runs & when I'm on you I can set the sprinting pace I want to do & see just how far I need to go.  When I'm outside I tend to slow down too soon.  You've also been much easier on my knees than concrete & asphalt.  This was especially nice right after having a baby.

But there are things I don't like about you.  Mostly it's that I feel restricted & confined.  You don't offer any change of scenery or people to wave to.  I can't work on my runner's tan with you either.  I also don't get the hill workouts that I need.  Sure, you have incline settings but it's still not like running outside where inclines constantly change.

I run 3 times a week & typically 2 out of 3 are on the treadmill.  Most of those are fairly short runs.  But I'm training for that marathon again so some are going to be 6, 7, & even 8 miles.  Those really get to be a beating.  My ipod can only help so much.

But for all the times that I dread running on you & it just feels like a beating, I really am thankful to have you.  You have been a pivotal part of my training.  Some runners try to say that you can't train for a marathon with a treadmill.  Well, we proved them wrong!  For moms especially, you are one of the best running partners to have!

See you tomorrow!

~Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment