Monday, July 18, 2011

The Belly Fat Cure

Nobody really loves a diet.  I mean, the word "die" is in it!  And sometimes we feel like we might "die" if we don't get to drink a soda or eat half a gallon of ice cream or eat an entire chicken fried steak at Babe's.

Well, we've been eating like that for too long.  And despite all the running I do, I can't really eat whatever I want & still lose weight.  I sort of could back in the breastfeeding days.  But as soon as those ended so did my high motabolism. 

I'm not going to go into my husband's dieting woes since it's my blog & not his, but I'll just say that he's tried.  But when he was working 2 jobs (that ended last month) there was only so much he could do. 

So now we're determined to beat this.  He wants to drop his weight once & for all & I want to find a way to not struggle with mine & get rid of my "mommy fluff".

Jeremy heard about this book called "The Belly Fat Cure" from some ladies at work.  The author talked about cutting carbs & sugars, not fats like we've always been told.  This was the same thing we heard on a documentary called "Fat Head".  You can find it on Netflix.  The movie was in response to "Super Size Me" which we all know was about the guy who ate McDonalds for 30 days & gained a lot of weight.  Well, the "Fat Head" guy ate at McDonalds but used his brain!  He didn't get sodas, would eat burgers without the buns, & would find better side option than fries.  He set a limit of carbs he'd consume each day.  And in the end, he lost weight!  So we were intrigued.

Last week we started our new diet.  In it you are limited to 15 grams of sugar a day & 6 "units" of carbs.  A carb unit is anywhere from 5 to 20 carbs.  So if a slice of bread has 12 carbs, then that's 1 carb unit.  If something has 25 carbs, then it's 2 carb units.  It has us eating whole grains which helps with the carbs but also gives more fiber (another thing we're to get more of).  And we eat more protein.  So chicken, steak, bacon . . . yes, I said bacon.  We've seriously had bacon almost everyday in the last week!

And here are our results in just 1 week:

Me - lost 3 lbs. & an inch in my waist
Jeremy - lost 9.4 lbs. & 2 inches in his waist

Not only have we lost weight, but our energy hasn't been effected.  Honestly, I'd say I have felt better this past week than when I could eat "normal foods".  It hasn't even affected my running!  And we haven't been craving the wrong foods.  Well, maybe I have a little but it's hard when you're the grocery shopper in the house!

Our meals are actually good.  From time to time I may post some.  Here's an easy pasta one that I absolutely loved.

6 oz. whole wheat penne pasta (cooked & drained)
1 cup pasta sauce (it's gotta be something low in sugar; it'll be more expensive but remember you're only using 1 cup)
1/2 cup heavy cream (yeah, seriously!)
1/4 chicken broth
season w/ salt, pepper, & oregano
4 chicken breasts, cooked & diced

Cook sauce, cream, & broth till it starts to simmer.  Add chicken & cook a few more minutes.  Pour over drained pasta.  Top with shredded parmesan.

This is for 4 servings.  But believe me that it's enough.  You can serve it when a side of broccoli (1/2 cup) which you can "season" with butter. 

So yeah, I'm pretty convinced that this is the diet we've been needing all along.  I will try to give updates on our progress.  It makes me excited to see how well it's worked so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment