Saturday, August 4, 2012

My Review of Couch to 5k

Just about 10 minutes ago I finished the Couch to 5k program.  I'm exhausted & need a shower but I'm gonna write my review first so I can cool off.  Because I know you're just dying to read my review!

Overall it's a great program & perfect for someone wanting to run a 5k.  The first few weeks are a good slow progression.  The first week has the running time at only 1 minute each time.  That was really easy for me.  But eventually it builds.

At first I thought it was building too fast.  I mean, at the end of the 5th week I had to run a solid 20 minutes!  And that after only doing a couple 8 minute runs earlier in the week.

But I figured out why it was so difficult.

I was going too fast.  The program says to not worry about pace but I kinda ignored that.  But those 1 minute runs at a 10:00 pace seemed so easy.  So that's when I eventually bumped it as fast as a 9:13 pace.  That felt great until I got to the longer runs & suddenly I was burning out really fast.  I tried slowing to a 9:31 pace but it was still too fast.  Eventually I was back to the 10:00 pace again, which was still faster than I was pre-pregnancy.  It just wasn't as fast as I had wanted to be.

I've wanted to get down to a 9:30 pace for a long time.  It would guarantee a 5k under 30 minutes, a half marathon just over 2 hours, & a likely 4 hour 30 minute full marathon!

But I'm just going to have to be patient & slowly work my way to it.

So would I still suggest a newbie to do Couch to 5k?  Absolutely!  I would just suggest finding a pace right away that isn't too easy but one that isn't leaving you huffing & puffing.  The ultimate goal is to run a 5k without stopping.  So finish the program & then work on the pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment