Thursday, June 16, 2011

Marathon Training: The Sequel

Marathon training began this week.  I decided to stick with the same schedule I did last year.  Since I ended last year's race without collapsing & the day after didn't leave me walking funny I figure it's a good plan & shouldn't mess with something that works.

Very little changes from what I've been doing for a while.  I still only run on Mondays, Wednesdays, & Saturdays, which is my long run.  If my shins will let me, I will do some speed workouts on Mondays & Wednesdays are dedicated to hill training.  Saturday long runs are just that . . . long.  I've gotten myself up to 11 1/2 miles so far.  Eventually I'll have 3 different 20 milers.  Last year I only completed 2 of them & one of those times was on the treadmill.

I'm very excited about the prospect of running this marathon again.  Last year I ran it 8 months post-partum.  Now I'd be 20 months post-partum.  I'm also faster & stronger than I was a year ago.  And I know the mistakes I made last year & have learned from them.  If all goes well I should have no problem finishing under 5 hours. 

So for the next 3 months on Saturday mornings, when you sleep till 8 or 9, just remember that I will have run 12+ miles by then.  Such is the life of training for a marathon during the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment